Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 12

Step by Step

Today, I cannot neglect those people who stuck it out through my drinking days, going on blind faith or hope that I might still get myself together. But in the process of my active disease, the people around me may well have gone through their own private hell and, in the more tragic consequences, may have become sicker than I. While they are no more responsible for either my alcoholism or addiction, they also are not responsible for my recovery. But my recovery must acknowledge that my alcoholism was not a "one-victim" consequence, and for those people who were victims of my drinking I owe my gratitude and respect - and deepest regrets. And my single strongest amend to them may well be my continued sobriety. Today, I will acknowledge and be grateful for my Al-Anon, or the many of them, and I will be there for them in their private journeys as they were there for me. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

THE BRIGHT SIDE

You grow up the day you have your first real laugh at yourself.

~ Ethel Barrymore ~

One of the most popular identifications of how important laughter is to members of the Fellowship is that "laughter is the best medicine." So many of us lived only on the dark side of life before the Program. We experienced healing when we were able to lighten up and laugh.

We often wanted to cry bitterly over what we had become. But we pretended to the world that everything was fine by laughing at everything, being sarcastic, and making a joke out of even the worst things we did. We were afraid that if we started to cry we'd never stop.

In recovery, we find we don't have to struggle to avoid shedding tears. Those tears come from humility, trust, joy, and faith and we can laugh with gratitude over the changes we find in ourselves and in those we have come to love.

I am no longer afraid to laugh or cry. I am able to accept myself as human.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

God is like a mirror. The mirror never changes but everybody who looks at it sees something different

~ quoted by Rabbi Harold S. Kushner ~

In their wisdom, the founders of Alcoholics Anonymous struggled with how to express the spirituality at the core of the program. They landed on the phrase "God as we understood Him.” That phrase is another way to express the idea of God as a mirror. Even those who try to define God will find that words cannot adequately describe the ultimate creator; instead they place false limits on God.

When we face God, we don’t see ourselves as we do in a mirror, but we see beyond ourselves. God provides us with a pathway out of our willful ego-based mind and expands our understanding as participants in the universe of creation. The awe and reverence and meaning of our spiritual lives call us to align ourselves with something far beyond our immediate pleasure and self- satisfying will.

Today I am grateful for the spiritual awakening that this program gives me.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

A big part of my “conversion” has been full acceptance of myself, warts and all.

~ Mary Zink ~

Every day is a fresh opportunity to love ourselves a little bit more and judge ourselves a little bit less. Growing up with overly critical parents, as many of us did, has made it hard to believe we’re okay. But here, in a Twelve Step program, we receive the affirmation we deserve on a daily basis.

We are never going to be perfect. We can’t even define what that means. Perhaps God is perfect. Elements of nature appear perfect. But we humans are flawed. And yet we are all okay, just as we are. Certainly, we can improve our condition. Doing an inventory will reveal the substantive changes we might make in ourselves. It’s good to remember, however, that we are loved unconditionally by our Higher Power and our friends. Learning to accept and appreciate who we are is the most productive lesson we’ll ever learn.

I am worthy and lovable. My belief will grow with practice.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

My sponsor still cares about me

First I had a slip with my addiction, which then led to a setback with my psychiatric illness. I'm missing work these days and my family is angry. I don't think they understand my illnesses very well or know what to do. (Sometimes I feel the same way.) I know they don't like what is happening and right now I don’t think they like me. (I don’t like myself a lot either.)

Maybe this is the way it has to be for a while. It doesn't feel good, but at least I still have my dual recovery sponsor to talk with. I couldn’t handle all this alone. He listens to me; he does not judge; he tell me he cares (and I feel it). This is what I need—a person I can go to at any time for support, no matter what happens. And for this gift I am very grateful.

When I check in with my sponsor today, I will thank him for all his support.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

God does not ask your ability or your inability.
He asks only your availability.

~ Mary Kay Ash ~

Reasons for gratitude are easy to find. If we’re breathing, we can think of people hooked up to oxygen tanks. If our skin is smooth, we can remember people suffering in bum units. If we ran into a store for a minute to buy a gallon of milk today, we can remember the long lines people in other cultures endure for the same errand.

And we exist! That alone is miraculous! We have survived a chronic, often fatal disease. For many of us, life is better than before addiction, because we’ve found a new appreciation for life, a new depth and peace, a new calmness. And we can continue to grow in recovery each beautiful day that is given to us. Today babies across the world are being born, bringing millions of hopeful and exciting possibilities into our world.

Now, we’re ready to take our place in the sun as one of the world’s new hopeful possibilities. We live and breathe and feel and think, and we are watched over by a Higher Power who loves us and has a plan for our lives.

Today let me look for the good in my world and be thankful.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

Diseases of the soul are more dangerous and numerous than those of the body.

~ Cicero ~

An Irish proverb advises, “A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book.” A Danish proverb says, “Fresh air impoverishes the doctor.” And an Arabic proverb states, “He who has health has hope; and he who has hope has everything.”

What each of these proverbs focuses on is the idea that your overall health can be measured—and affected—by more than just the attention you pay to your physical needs. Without a healthy mental outlook, emotional stability, and regular attention to your spiritual development, your health can be affected. Stress, loneliness, depression, and a sense of disconnection from life can chip away at even the healthiest of bodies.

You can begin today to take small steps that will help to increase your overall health. Set aside time to meditate, pray, or simply clear your mind from the hustle and bustle of the day. Volunteer to help those who are less fortunate. Spend time with your children, your friends, or a loved one. Make these things part of your daily routine, and you may find that you not only feel better about yourself, but you also feel better on the inside.

Today I will pay attention to my mental, emotional, and spiritual health.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

The biggest lesson I've learned . . . was that if you have all the fresh water you want to drink and all the food you want to eat, you ought never to complain about anything.

~ Eddie Rickenbacker ~

For almost twenty-one days, Eddie Rickenbacker floated aimlessly in a life raft in the Pacific Ocean. That experience helped him see life differently than most people, because he learned to focus on the basics of happiness and contentment—food and water.

Are we satisfied with what we have, or do we believe happiness is achieved after we have a new appliance, a new car, a different house, more money, a better partner, or two more years of recovery? Are we always looking to the next thing we need before we'll be satisfied, rather than appreciating the basics around us?

Keep it Simple reminds us that we need very little to survive comfortably. Food to eat, a place to live, a way to make money, and a belief in a Higher Power are some of the things our early settlers gave great thanks for. Have we given thanks today for simple things that help us stay happy, healthy, and hopeful?

Tonight, I can give thanks for the many simple blessings around me.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Becoming virtuous

For some of us, becoming virtuous means bringing our behavior in line with a Higher Will. It means acting in line with our deepest convictions—not necessarily religious doc-trines, nor the ideas drummed into our heads in childhood, nor the beliefs of virtuous people.

For some of us, this means that we have some work to do: We must find out what we believe in, and then we must live by those beliefs.

Do I know my beliefs? Do I live by them?

Higher Power, help me discover what I truly believe in.

Today I will live my deepest beliefs by

God help me to stay clean and sober to day!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

The more we know, the better we forgive.

MADAME DE STAEL ~

Newcomer

I can see some of the ways I harmed myself when I was active in my addiction, and I've added my own name to my amends list. How do I go about apologizing to myself? It seems absurd.

Sponsor

When it comes to making amends, “apologizing” isn’t the whole story. When we apologize, we express regret for what we've done sometimes offering an excuse or an explanation. “Amends" comes from a Latin word that means "to free from faults." When we make amends, we acknowledge what we did and then find a way to compensate or make up for it. In taking responsibility for our behavior, we change; we're free to move forward without the terrible burden of guilt.

We can begin to feel compassion for the person we were when we were active in our addiction, once we understand that we were trying to take care of ourselves in the only way we could at the time. In a sense we began making amends to ourselves the day we entered recovery. For many of us, giving up our addictive substance or behavior is the hardest thing we've done in our lives, and the most freeing.

No one can give us the feelings of worthiness and self-esteem that are part of complete recovery; we must experience them ourselves. Forgiving ourselves is essential to our healing process. If we can't forgive ourselves today, we can pray for willingness, trusting that we'll grow in generosity and tenderness toward ourselves, as well as toward others.

Today, I grow in love and compassion for myself.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

Many of the uninformed non-alcoholics looked upon us of the Drinking Fraternity as lazy bums. They do not know the planning and scheming required to raise the price of a bottle when you are broke. They fail to realize that a twelve-hour shift of panhandling frequently didn't produce enough to keep us in booze, a little food and a flop for the night.

We resent the charge that we were lazy—we worked much harder and received much less appreciation for our efforts than those who were on somebody's payroll. No, it is hard work, small pay and lousy living conditions.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

Carry The Message

Dear God, I now fully realize how much the Program, You, and other people have helped me. It is my responsibility to carry this message to those who still suffer, whether they are in need of our Fellowship or are in our Fellowship and are struggling today. You have demonstrated to me that life is no longer a dead end without hope. With this gift, I am now able to help others. My spiritual progress is measured by my positive actions. God, You have only asked me to be helpful and to leave the results to You.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

TAKE GOD FOR YOUR PARTNER

Why nor organize the business of living in a big way? Why creep along, as some people do, from one tiny stepping stone to another, instead of striding out boldly? Why be content with poor health, uninteresting work, or restricted conditions, when many other people have already risen above these things?

There is a way out of limitation that never fails. It is this, take God for your partner. If you will really make God your business partner in every department of your life, you will be amazed at the quick and striking results that you will obtain. Of course, if you want God to be your partner, you will have to include Him in every corner and every phase of your life.

Most people would be thrilled to be able to go into partnership with some great industrial or financial magnate; they would feel that their future was assured. But here is a partnership with Infinite Wisdom and Infinite Power awaiting you.

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing (John 15:5).

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Don’t Miss It

Carpe Diem! (Seize the Day!)

On my way to the San Francisco airport, I got caught in traffic on the Bay Bridge'. Wondering how long I would be stuck, I began to worry about missing my plane. Just having come from a restful retreat in the mountains, suddenly I felt the stressful chemistry of anxiety encroach on my body. Then an inner voice spoke: “It's one thing to miss the plane, but it's quite another to miss the moment.” Stunned, I recognized that I had just missed a moment of life. I took a few deep breaths, looked out at the springtime sun shimmering on the water, opened the window to feel the breeze, and turned on the radio to find some enjoyable music. Ah, that felt better. I could always catch another plane, but I could never catch another this moment.

All of life is right where you are. Never trade the peace of now for fear or worry. Because you carry the spark of God with you, you have the power to illuminate any time, any place.

Help me to be fully present.
Help me to find beauty where I am.

I claim the riches of the universe right where I am.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply