Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2016, 05:31 AM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 24

Step by Step

"At last, acceptance proved to be the key to my drinking problem. ...When I stopped living in the problem and began living in the answer, the problem went away. From that moment on, I have not had a single compulsion to drink." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, "They Stopped in Time," Ch 17 ("Doctor, Alcoholic, Addict"), pp 448-49.

Today, after living so long in the problem of drinking, let me understand that now, as an alcoholic who does not drink, I am free to live in the answer - sobriety. By living in sobriety, I am free of fighting the temptation to drink again, free of the fear of being caught and of shame, anger, resentment, loneliness and hopelessness. The problem of drinking offers no freedom; the answer of sobriety does. Let me think and re-think until I understand the fine line between living in the problem of resisting temptation to drink and living in the answer of sobriety and, in understanding, I can begin to loosen the problem's grip on me and embrace the answer. And the answer is AA and the principles it suggests. Today, I no longer have to fight or live with the problem; I have an answer. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

MEETINGS

Seven days without a meeting makes one weak

~ Anonymous ~

The amount of time we invested in our addiction over the years was considerable. We spent countless hours feeding our addiction, thinking about feeding it, and trying to recover from the episode. A great investment of time was made.

We need to consider the idea that a tremendous amount of time invested in recovery is a wise choice. This disease of ours has caused deep wounds. Healing will take time. Just because we put the chemical or behavior down does not mean they will put us down. Our Program describes them as cunning, baffling, and powerful. Some old-timers add patient, too.

The point is made in many cases that those that don't spend the time, don't make it. Ours is not a solitary Fellowship. We don't work our Program alone. The meetings we attend are very important to us.

I will put as much energy into my meeting attendance as I once put into my active addiction.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

Storytelling is giving shape to the amorphous chaos of life.

~ Anonymous ~

When we put words to what has happened to us, we can begin to learn from our experience. We carry images within us that are the building blocks of our stories, but we only begin to make sense of them when we put them into words. Talking with a trusted friend, or speaking in a meeting, or telling a therapist about our experiences gives them a shape. The words give us a way to understand, and they build a bridge to others. We may feel deeply alone if we keep our memories and images to ourselves. When we begin to talk, as we tell our story, we learn from our own words, and they take us deeper into our truth.

We don’t tell our story only once. We do it over and over again. It brings relief from the traumas and releases us from the prison of our past. Each time we talk, even recounting the same events, we are somewhat different because we have grown, and we see our own story from a new perspective. Listening to other men’s stories and telling our own is one of the special tools for spiritual growth that we use on this recovery path.

Today I will talk to someone about an experience or a feeling.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

The subconscious can be programmed to procure the results you desire.

~ Susan Smith Jones ~

The subconscious absorbs events in the external world as well as our internal world. It’s never al rest. Yet we do have power over what we cultivate in the recesses of our subconscious.

There are some tools we can use to weed out unhealthy messages from our subconscious. One is to replace negative thoughts with thoughts that nurture us. Another is to develop affirmations that boost our self-esteem, and to practice saying them while in a meditative state or standing before a mirror. Maybe the most effective of all tools is visualization. Do it this way: Carefully paint the portrait of the woman you want to be in your mind. See her in myriad situations, always performing superbly. Dwell on her strengths, her capabilities in every experience. Believe in her and she will become real.

I am who I think I can be today. My imagination will shape the person I desire to be. I am in charge.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

My life isn't easy, but it's mine and it’s real

For quite some time, my life consisted of fighting my psychiatric illness, mainly by getting high. But in trying to control the emotional—almost physical—pain, I was losing control of my life. I was caught in a web. These days it can still be a struggle—stress, setbacks, holding down a job—but now I have the right tools and I know where I am: I'm abstinent and stable in dual recovery I am doing the work I need to do—counseling, Step meetings—and I'm on the right path.

Today I will pray for continued strength and the willingness to trust my higher power with my future.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.

~ John Powell ~

A sense of humor is one part of us that is rescued by recovery from the dulled life of addiction. Laughter heals us and separates us from suffocating false pride. As we mend emotions, we gladly let go of our need to be right all the time. We move away from that old, fearful defensiveness, and come to accept our mistakes. It is endearing when we relate to one another as a result of our human imperfections. This is the spiritual path we have chosen over self-centered preoccupation.

When we laugh we are truly living in the moment, and freeing ourselves, if only for a moment, from our worries. Only humans have the ability to recognize and appreciate humor. Of all animals, only humans laugh. Laughter relieves the pressure of a closed mind and in that moment, when we are most teachable, we learn that our mistakes are not disasters, but simply by-products of our growth.

Today let me share laughter over my mistakes with another person.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

It wasn’t mining when Noah built the ark.

~ Howard Ruff ~

To stay dean and sober, it is vital to create a foundation of support that will help you to strengthen your commitment and resist the temptation to use or abuse.

Become active in your group by helping before or after meetings and make new friends. Together you can enjoy activities that are free from drugs or alcohol. Those who are clean and sober have experience and wisdom that support your recovery.

Use a daily book of meditations for guidance each day. Read materials available at meetings so you can stay focused on your recovery. Read—or reread—the Big Book, From time to time you may need to attend events where alcohol is served or where your former drinking buddies will be. If you can invite someone from the program, you will have a supportive guest to be with you. If you cannot, arrange to get together with your sponsor immediately after the event.

Connect with your Higher Power through prayer and meditation. Share your feelings at meetings. Spend regular, quality time with your sponsor. Accept the support and guidance you are given, but remember that your recovery is your responsibility.

I will use tools of support for my recovery.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

The message is, "It's okay if you mess up. You should give yourself a break.”

~ Billy Joel ~

The song "You're Only Human” was written to help teens eliminate suicide as an option to life's problems. It tells them it's okay to make mistakes. In fact, because we're human, we're supposed to make mistakes.

Mistakes don't last forever. They are small events in the larger master plan of life. While a mistake may hurt another or affect the outcome of a situation, a mistake is not so earth-shattering and catastrophic that we can't learn something from it, forgive ourselves, and let it go.

There's no reason to feel we need to punish ourselves if we do something wrong. It’s the mature person who can look at a mistake and shrug it off easily. It's the perfectionistic, people-pleasing person that demands retribution for mistakes and never wants to forget them. Which is easier for us to be?

Tonight I can look at my mistakes and know they are signs of my humanness. It is healthy to make a mistake every once in a while and be able to accept it as a normal part of living.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Seeking a Higher Power

In the Twelve Step program, Step Two sug-gests that we seek a Higher Power (whom some of us choose to call God) to help us with the problems that we can’t handle alone. And here some of us—for very old and deep reasons—get stuck.

God need not be male, nor old and bearded. God need not be judgmental or punishing. The fact is, in the Twelve Step program we can let go of our old notions about God. The fact is, we can decide what we want our Higher Power to be to get the help we need.
Can I begin seeking a Higher Power?

I now realize I have a serious problem. I see that I cannot recover on my own. I need help.

Today I will begin to explore my spiritual beliefs by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

Use what language you will, you can never say anything but what you are.

~ RALPH WALDO EMERSON ~

Newcomer

Since so many of us are cross-addicted, why are some meetings closed?

Sponsor

Though a meeting may be listed as "closed," it's open to anyone who has a desire to stop using the substance or compulsive behavior that is the focus of the meeting. For example, if I'm a recovering compulsive overeater who has begun to explore my relationship with alcohol or drugs, I may attend closed meetings of AA or NA. However, observers, journalists, spouses, and interested friends, all of whom are welcome at "open" meetings, may not attend closed meetings. The existence of closed meetings offers a greater sense of security to those who are especially concerned about their anonymity and to those who prefer to keep discussions focused on a specific addiction.

Rather than engage in controversy about this issue, we need to respect the collective conscience and guidelines of the particular groups we attend. We can make an effort to find meetings where we feel comfortable telling the truth about how we got here. If we're attending an open meeting merely as a visitor, we listen, but refrain from sharing. We respect the anonymity of those present and don't carry news of what we've heard or seen, even to members of another anonymous fellowship.

Today, there's a place that's right for me; I go there and know that I'm at home.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

When a member of AA can take his first inventory and compare it with his last and then truthfully say, “I am not now that which I have been,” he has arrived at a definite stage of improvement. When the next one shows still more improvement, then he is definitely on the Program. When this improvement continues until there is no more room for improvement—look out below.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

Facing Indecision

Dear God, help me during the day when I face indecision. Help me when I do not know which course to take. I ask You for inspiration, an intuitive thought, or a decision. You have instructed me during these times of indecision not to struggle, to relax and take it easy. You will provide the right answers. This I pray.

~ Adapted from material in Alcoholics Anonymous, Fourth Edition, page 86 ~

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

ALTER YOUR LIFE

There is no need to be unhappy. There is no need to be disappointed, or oppressed, or aggrieved. There is no need for illness or failure or discouragement. There is no necessity for anything but an abounding interest and joy in life.

As long as you accept a negative condition at its own valuation, so long will you remain in bondage to it; but you have only to assert your birthright as a free man or woman and you will be free.

Success and happiness are the natural conditions of mankind. It is actually easier to demonstrate these things than the reverse. Bad habits of thinking and acting may obscure this fact for a time, just as a wrong way of walking or sitting, or holding a pen or a musical instrument may seem to be easier than the proper way, because we have accustomed ourselves to it; but the proper way is the easier nevertheless.

Unhappiness, frustration, poverty, loneliness are really bad habits that their victims have become accustomed to bear, believing that there is no way out, whereas there is a way; and that way is simply to acquire good habits of working with the Law instead of against it.

Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy Law (Psalm 119:18).

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Whose Birthday?

Give to every other human being every right you claim for yourself.

~ Robert G. Ingersoll ~

I took my eight-year-old goddaughter to the toy store to buy her a birthday present. When I told her, "Pick out anything you like,” she ran to the display of Barbie dolls. "But you already have 32 Barbie Dolls!" I reminded her. "You have a blonde Barbie, a black Barbie, a cheerleader Barbie, and a beach Barbie, not to mention a Barbie house, a Barbie hot rod, and a Barbie executive office. Why don't you get something different?"

She clutched a new Barbie and answered, “But I want a Barbie.” My first instinct was to tell her to put the doll back on the shelf, but then I realized something important: It was her birthday, not mine l had told her to pick out whatever she wanted, and this was her choice. It was not my place to judge what made her happy. Even if she had 300 Barbies and this was her idea of a great birthday present. I had to honor her choice.

True service means surrendering our idea of what someone else should want, and supporting them in their vision of happiness. With the exception of helping someone do something that will hurt them, we love most genuinely by standing behind, not between, others and the choices they make. We must not impose our visions over theirs, but support them in manifesting their dreams.

Help me love and support my brothers and sisters for who and what they are rather than what I would have them be.

I delight in affirming others on their path of joy.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply