Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 28

Step by Step

"I realize that all I'm guaranteed in life is today. The poorest person has no less and the wealthiest has no more - each of us has but one day. What we do with it is our own business; how we use it is up to us individually." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, "They Lost Nearly All," Ch 2 ("Promoted to Chronic"), p 473.

Today, fully understand and accept that all I have today is just that - today! Whether I have little to nothing, or all and more than I can use materially, I am no less and no better than anyone because, in the end, all we take with us to our final chapters is ourselves. But, especially in recovery, I cannot foolishly look too far beyond the forest in my goal to achieve a landmark anniversary of sobriety or any other goal; one of the trees in the forest could cold-cock me. Grant me wisdom and prudence to see first what is in front of me instead of beyond and what must be done to get me to the long-term goal. Today, I do with what I have - today. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

THINK, THINK, THINK

To know what you know and to know what you don't know is knowing what it's all about.

~ Anonymous ~

When we work our Program, we are reintroduced to a person about whom we knew very little and understood not at all. This person was ourselves. We traced our personal histories back in time and discovered the many ways our addictions were living our lives. They walked for us, talked for us, cried for us, ate for us, made love for us, and, on many occasions, tried to murder us. This power overwhelmed us. It wasn't until we began our recovery that we discovered a way out.

We have been given our lives back. We are now in possession of all our senses and skills. However, they have not been used much; they are rusty. We need to practice being ourselves. The slogan "Think, Think, Think" reminds us that what we tell ourselves affects our actions.

I must remember to "think, think, think" before I act, react, or pursue my desires.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.

~ Julia Cameron ~

When creative artists describe the experience of creating a painting or writing a novel, they often talk about feeling that they are given inspiration, as if it comes from outside them. They tell us that if they are too willful or too deliberate, they get in the way.

When we begin to walk the Twelve Steps, we enter that same kind of process. We are led to surrender—not in defeat, but to let ourselves be cared for. As men we may know little about becoming so vulnerable. Many of us concluded long ago that vulnerability only led to pain and defeat. Perhaps we could let a lover care for us, especially in an erotic or sexual way. But opening ourselves to the care of our group, our sponsor, our Higher Power was outside anything we had ever tried.

On this path, our whole life is a creative process. We can’t know exactly where it will take us. That is the adventure—and it is infinitely long. We continue the creative way, daily learning new things and developing new experiences. We are present and open, and we know the feeling of being spiritually awake.

Today my life will be a creative adventure.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

Spiritual experience is personal and individual.

~ Veronica Ray ~

We envy people who have had profound spiritual experiences. In comparison, our experiences often look meager. But the tiny awarenesses we have that God has always been present in our lives are as convincing as the most awesome experiences. We simply need to recognize them as evidence.

When situations fail to please us or other people seem out of control, we long for our Higher Power to be more present in our lives. But we are slowly coming to understand that everyone else has a Higher Power; when others aren’t living according to our will, perhaps they are living according to their God’s will.

When we come to terms with God’s role in our lives, we’ll feel more assurance about our own role and be more aware of the myriad, concrete examples of the spiritual experiences we have had.

My experience with God is very much my own. It does not resemble someone else’s experience. God considers my needs unique.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I feel better today

It used to be that each day was just as dull or unhappy as the one before it. I kept doing the same things that kept me down—using street drugs, ignoring my medication, and ignoring the professional help that was offered me. The week I hit bottom, each day was worse than the one before.

But now it feels like I'm finally into recovery. I've been drug-free for several weeks and attending my group. Last night I took my meds on time and went to sleep at a reasonable hour. Today I woke up in a good mood, did my daily recovery activities, and then wrote a while in my journal. I even took a risk: I called a family member just to talk. It was good to hear his
voice (I think he accepts me more these days). Things are looking up.

Today I will give myself a healthful reward for my commitment to recovery.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

Every day is a new day.
The past is gone, the future still to come;
but today is ours to do with as we will.

~ D. M. Prescott ~

Recovery means we can make choices on a daily basis, choices that will be in our best interest. Now, we can choose to be loving, forgiving, and positive. We can choose the people, places, and things that bring comfort and joy to our lives. Now, we can choose life.

In recovery, we have tools to help us make these choices: our Twelve Step program, sober friends, slogans, and literature. We have a new physical and mental stamina to help us make and fulfill healthy decisions. And our spiritual rebirth gives us serenity and peace no matter what problems we may face.

We are saying good-bye to our past. We can’t look into the future, and only work on ourselves today. But, truly, “Today is ours to do with as we will.”

Today guide my choices, as I lead a sober life, one day at a time.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

You start by saying no to requests. Then if you have to go to yes, okay. But if you start with yes, you can’t go to no.

~ Mildred Perlman ~

There may be times when a friend, family member, co-worker, or others ask for your help, and you say yes when you really do not want to. There are some requests made of you that may add to an already full schedule, deprive you of the time in which you need to do something for yourself, or make you uncomfortable.

One of the first words you learn to say in recovery is no. You must say no to your addiction in order to stay on the right path. You must say no to someone who asks you to be a sponsor if you cannot devote the time and attention needed. You must say no to invitations to parties if the presence of alcohol or drugs will put your recovery at risk.

outside of the program it may be more difficult to say no. You may feel guilty if you do. But your recovery must come first. This does not mean you must be selfish or say no to everyone. It simply means you need to make sure your needs are met first.

I will not say yes unless it is right for me to do so.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

It takes more than a soft pillow to insure sound sleep.

~ Anonymous ~

Our minds may be the most difficult part of our bodies to relax. From our toes to our fingertips, we may find we can easily make the limb and torso muscles grow heavy with relaxation. But when it comes to the muscle that exists above our necks, we may find our heads so loaded with facts and feelings that signals to relax get blocked.

If we were to open the top of our heads and see the crammed things as slips of paper, what would we find? On one slip of paper we might see the word guilt. On another, shame. Others might read anger, stress, jealousy, pressure, fear, or distrust.

All these papers do is clog the channels of creativity, fun, and relaxation. When these channels are clogged, even the most comfortable bed and the softest pillow won’t help us have a peaceful sleep. To make the most of our relaxation time tonight, we need to place those papers where they belong in the trash.

Tonight I can do a little "head cleaning" before I go to sleep. Help me remove all the unwanted messages and let the peaceful channels flow free.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Maintaining conscious contact

At meetings, it’s fairly easy to be in touch with our Higher Power, but it’s the rest of the time that’s most important, time when we face our problems on our own. It helps if we can work the program throughout the day, to keep in conscious contact with our Higher Power.

Many of us use the Serenity Prayer. Others use personal prayers, meditate, or set aside quiet moments during the day.

Do I have a way to hook up with my Higher Power?

Higher Power, help me to make the time to maintain conscious contact with you.

Today I will improve my conscious contact with God by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

It is not the weak but the strong who practice tolerance, and the strong do not weaken their position showing tolerance.

~ DAG HAMMARSKJOLD ~

Newcomer

What if I can't forgive myself?

Sponsor

Many of us in recovery are harder on ourselves than we'd be on anyone else. The spiritual awakening that occurs through the process of taking the Twelve Steps can help us to let go of the habits of self-blame and self-punishment.

Entering recovery was an action that took faith and courage; for most of us, it was the most difficult thing we'd done in our lives. Now that we've taken that step, can we genuinely believe that growth and change are over and that happiness and freedom are for others, but not for us? In time, with the help of our Higher Power, our capacity for forgiveness will grow to include ourselves.

If we think that we can't forgive ourselves, we can pray to become willing to forgive ourselves. If we think that we can't pray to become willing, we can simply say the words, "For today, I'm not yet willing to forgive myself." Putting it this way leaves the door open. We haven't ruled out future change. We've left room for the possibility that there will come a day when we will have the willingness. In time, more will be revealed.

Today, I trust that my Higher Power hasn't brought me this far only to abandon me.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

The subconscious aim of practically all men is to get the most and the best out of every day of their lives. It is a simple creed and if honestly followed, day by day, act by act, it cannot help but lead to greater heights.

Like AA, it is so simple it is incredible. Why not try it? It's what you honestly want anyway.

~ WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG BOOK ~ (Official & Unofficial Sloganeering From the 12 Step Programs) ~

1) Don't "have" a nice day, MAKE a nice day.

2) God's will: You can't do His will, your way.

3) When your head begins to swell your mind stops growing.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

Easy Does It

Dear God, help me remember to take things slowly, for spiritual progress requires time for growth. Maturity is not an overnight miracle. Help me to be productive and keep me from procrastinating or being impatient and rushing ahead too quickly. I will remind myself today not to push myself faster than I need to go. I won't push the river; I'll let it flow.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

THE CONQUERING HORSE

And I saw, and behold a white horse : and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer (Revelation 6:2).

The White Horse is the spiritual nature, and the man or woman who rides the White Horse achieves freedom, and joy, and ultimate happiness and harmony.

We are told two very interesting things about the Horseman on the White Horse: the Bible says that he that sat on him had a bow. The bow and arrow is an ancient symbol of the spoken Word. When you speak the Word you shoot an arrow. It goes where you aim it. The Horseman on the White Horse speaks the Word. The rider on the White Horse also wears a crown, and the crown is a symbol of victory. The rider on the White Horse is always the victor.

This, then, is the story of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. If you want peace, an understanding of God, there is only one way—you must ride the White Horse.

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

A Little Bit of Heaven

In the middle of every difficulty lies an opportunity.

~ Albert Einstein ~

In a documentary about the 1969 Woodstock Music Festival, a woman who had been there told how participants had to pull together to help each other in the midst of a city of 500,000 people that had formed overnight. People pushed each other’s cars out of the mud, shared food, ministered to hippies on bad drug trips, and delivered a baby. “I guess there’s a little bit of heaven in every disaster area,” she noted.

Sometimes disasters set the stage for blessings that would otherwise go unnoticed or unappreciated. When Hurricane Iniki destroyed or damaged most of the dwellings on the Island of Kauai, residents had to pull together to take care of each other after the storm. One fellow told me, “It was the first time in many years that the aloha spirit returned to the island."

After the 1989 San Francisco earthquake, teams of massage therapists volunteered to treat firefighters who had worked nearly to exhaustion. Businessmen ate lunch next to homeless people in outdoor cafes while the damage was being repaired. Many heroes who would otherwise have remained anonymous came to the fore.

No event is entirely negative. Sometimes a hell can set a stage for an unexpected heaven.

Show me how to find the light in the darkness. Help me be a light to others.

I have the power to create heaven wherever I am.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply