Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 05-14-2017, 04:44 AM   #91
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Sunday, MAY14

From the book: Food for Thought

Abstinence Plus

Most of us find it impossible to maintain our abstinence and our weight loss if we do not continue to grow spiritually and emotionally. The Steps are not something we take once and for all and then put aside. We continue to work on ourselves.

It is possible to reach and maintain a weight goal, but the emotional and spiritual goals of the program are never fully attained. We keep striving for progress, in spite of temporary setbacks.

All of us need something to live for, something that captures our imagination and beckons us on to greater efforts. Achievement in the areas of study and work, commitments to family and community, development of talents and interests--all serve as motivation. Usually, though, we require something more to keep us going. When we become aware of the Spirit, which is constantly available to us through contact with our Higher Power, we are tuned in to the source of our abstinence and of our life.

May I remember to live by the Spirit.
What a powerful statement. I had to come to a spiritual reason to quit smoking. I couldn't quit because of fears and warnings. I wanted to be a clean clear channel. I need to adapt this same feeling to my eating disorder. I have regained the 20 lbs. that I lost. It is called a honey bun addiction.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #92
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Friday, MAY19

Resentments

When we hang on to resentments, we poison ourselves. As compulsive overeaters, we cannot afford resentment, since it exacerbates our disease. If we do not get rid of our anger and bitterness, we will suffer more than anyone. Seeking revenge will harm ourselves in the long run.

Many of us have carried around old grudges, which caused us to reach for food when we thought about them. We don't need the food and we don't need the grudges, either. When we give away the resentments, we are that much lighter in body and in spirit. Now that we have found OA, we have a way to get rid of the animosity and indignation, which has been poisoning our system.

Taking inventory and making amends is an essential part of burying resentments. We need to first be consciously aware of them before we can give them away. These steps usually need to be taken again and again as negative material threatens our physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being.

Take away my resentments, Lord.
An amend isn't saying "I am sorry." It means making changes so we don't continue making the same mistakes over and over again and expecting different results.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #93
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Thursday, MAY25

Delayed Gratification

One of the advantages of maturity is the ability to delay gratification of desires and needs. It is this ability, which makes possible the achievement of long-range goals and plans. We compulsive overeaters have permitted childish demands for immediate satisfaction to drive us into addictive habits. We still have some emotional growing up to do.

When we come to the OA program, we accept a reasonable plan for the gratification of our appetite and hunger. We know that we will eat three times a day, and we choose our food. As our appetite adjusts to eating smaller amounts less frequently, we may experience some discomfort. As maturing individuals, we can accept this discomfort in the interest of a healthier, more attractive body and a saner, more peaceful mind. Instead of having to have what we want now, this minute, we are able to wait until the appropriate time.

Working the Steps makes us aware of the emotional growing we need to do in order to have more satisfying relationships with other people. Here, too, we often have to delay immediate satisfaction in order to achieve larger, more important goals.

I pray for emotional and spiritual maturity.
When I saw this title, it reminded me that I not only drank to someone else's health, I ate too. How many times I said, "Don't tell me and took another bite."

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:50 AM   #94
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day

Sunday, MAY 28

Patience

The person who is a compulsive overeater is often someone who wants what he or she wants right now, if not before. When we take inventory, many of us realize that impatience is one of our most troublesome character defects. We are impatient with other people when they do not see things our way, we are impatient with the slowness of weight loss, and we are impatient when we do not seem to be making emotional and spiritual progress.

Cultivating patience helps us tremendously with our program. We grow in patience when we give God control of our lives and decide to live according to His timetable. If we accept what happens to us as the will of a Higher Power, we are better able to treat even the unpleasant situations as learning experiences. We become more patient with ourselves when we view our failures as opportunities to try again.

Fruitful growth is slow. Only weeds grow quickly. Acknowledging powerlessness builds the patience to persevere with what we can do and the faith to leave the results to God.
Trusting in You, may I learn patience.
The failure is in the not trying. That has where I have been in regard to my honey buns. I will have to start again and pray for the willingness to be willing.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #95
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Thursday, JUNE1

Take an Idea Break

When we are bored or tired, it has been our habit to reach for something to eat or drink. Food has been our number one stimulant.

There are many sources besides the refrigerator to which we may turn for refreshment. We may stimulate our minds instead of our appetites by reading something worthwhile and thought provoking. We may listen to music or simply take a good look out the nearest window. In addition to intellectual stimulation, there are many sensory feasts besides food, which we may have been neglecting.

During our recovery from compulsive overeating, we grow less obsessed with food and more interested in the world around us. When our brains are no longer dulled with refined sugar, we take pleasure in new thoughts and ideas. The next time we find ourselves thinking about something to eat, let's try consuming something pleasant with our eyes, ears, or minds instead of our mouths.

May I enjoy fully all of the senses and abilities You have given me.
Lately, I seem to have been missing good sense. As I shared in my check in today, my God and I have to have a wee talk. Not just about food, but money too.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 PM   #96
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Sunday, JUNE4

Avoiding Extremes

The Greek ideal of the golden mean is a concept, which we would do well to ponder. Most of us are extremists, as evidenced by our compulsiveness. We are all or nothing people, and our histories are full of times when we "couldn't believe we ate the whole thing."

Before coming to OA, many of us alternated between starving and bingeing. Either we attempted a diet so limited and stringent that it was impossible to follow for very long, or we indulged our appetites by eating everything that did not move.

OA endorses the practice of moderation. Learning it is difficult for most of us and something, which we have been unable to do by ourselves. The members who maintain their abstinence and have a strong program serve as guides and sponsors for those of us who are beginners. Old and new, all of us rely every day on our Higher Power to lead us in the way of moderation.

May I avoid extremes and learn moderation.
Never had the concept of just one and seldom stopped at just two.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:22 AM   #97
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Wednesday, JUNE 7

Perfectionism

Part of the ego reduction necessary to our recovery is the acceptance of the fact that we are not and never will be perfect. Perfectionism gets in the way of recovery because it imposes impossible, unrealistic goals which guarantee failure. If we do not think we have to be perfect, then we can accept our mistakes as learning experiences and be willing to try again.

Deepening acquaintance with our Higher Power is good insurance against perfectionism. We come to believe that He accepts and loves us as we are, and this gives us the courage and humility to accept ourselves. We are not perfect, but we are growing. In spite of our weaknesses, we can serve others according to God's plan for our lives. Accepting our own limitations makes us more tolerant of the faults and weaknesses of those around us. Together, we progress. I am thankful that I don't need to be perfect.
This was a hard one for Ms. Perfection. I had to remind her that she was in recovery now.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:28 PM   #98
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Friday, JUNE 9

Greedy Thinking, Greedy Eating

Contentment comes from being satisfied with what we have. Since "bread" is a symbol for material things, it is easy to use food as a substitute for the money and possessions we may avidly desire. Overeating can be a form of compensation for the enticing worldly wealth, which seems so attractive, yet is out of our grasp.

When we desire abstinence more than we desire material things, we are able to maintain it. When we allow material cares and concerns to obscure our spiritual goals, then our abstinence is in danger! Each of us is confronted with the choice of striving to satisfy physical cravings or working toward spiritual ideals. We cannot serve two masters.

We may have thought that we could get rid of our greed for food and continue to indulge our greed for other material things. Our Higher Power does not work that way. He demands nothing less than complete allegiance.

May I serve You without reservations.
Like the last line. Doing service is a big part of recovery. Getting out of Self and helping others.

The title affirms my thoughts about addiction. If I don't feed my body, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, as well as physically, I get needy. When I get needy, I get greedy. Some is good, more is better. Wrong!!!

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #99
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Tuesday, JUNE13

Research

In OA meetings, we sometimes hear reports of "research" done by a member who breaks abstinence in order to find out whether he or she is still a compulsive overeater. The experiment invariably proves that once a compulsive overeater, always a compulsive overeater. Among the results are remorse, regained weight, and weakened control.

It has been said that we are like someone who has lost a leg. We do not grow a new one. We can, nevertheless, learn to live with our disability if we are willing to abstain and follow the OA program. Most of us find that we cannot go back to eating binge foods moderately, but we can avoid them. We are like the alcoholic who can lead a normal, satisfying life as long as he or she stays away from alcohol.

Further research is not necessary. By accepting our need for a disciplined eating plan, we can benefit from the experience of those who have been in the program longer than we.

May I remember that further research is unnecessary.
Acceptance is the key to all my problems today. I like to think challenges, they can be overcome. I have started losing some of the weight caused by all the swelling. I knew it was that, but when I looked at my self, all I could see and think was FAT!!! I had to learn to love myself no matter where I was at and be my own best friend.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #100
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Sunday, JUNE 18

Homesickness

There are certain foods, which we will always associate with home and which make us nostalgic to recapture the past. No matter how much we eat, we cannot go back home and again be the babies and little children we were. No food will satisfy our longing for the love, care, and safety most of us associate with home. Even (and especially) if our dependency needs were not met when we were young, eating unnecessary food now will not help.

As we grow in relationship with our Higher Power, we begin to believe that home lies ahead, rather than behind us. We begin to see that our homesickness is for a spiritual state instead of a physical place. Wherever we are, we are pilgrims and travelers, not sure of our final destination but drawn toward something more than what we know in this world. We sense that though we are in the world, we are not of it, that we are homesick for a spiritual fulfillment.

May our homesickness bring us closer to You.
Interesting, never thought of it in this way. know I can have spiritual hunger and void, but never saw things in this light.

Homesickness for me was my mother's home made bread and buns. She cooked meat, potatoes, and veggies to perfection and was a dream baker. Made her cakes from scratch and tasted as light and much better than anything that came out of a box. Very seldom boxed foods came into our house unless is was cereal, or things like cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #101
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Thursday, JUNE22

God Is a Verb

We cannot contain our Higher Power at a fixed point or in a closed system. However we may understand God, our understanding is always limited. The Power that rescues us from compulsive overeating is an active force, which constantly beckons us to move on. What we were to do yesterday is past; a new day brings new challenges and opportunities.

Our compulsion had us trapped in a pattern of self-destructive repetition. We did the same dumb thing over and over again. When we turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understand Him, we are linking up with the source of newness and creativity. God moves, and if we are linked with Him, we also move. His spirit changes us, and what we thought and did yesterday is not adequate to the demands of today.

Trusting our Higher Power means acting according to His promptings. We follow Him as He leads us into new tasks and activities and ideas. We learn from experience that He is always more than adequate for our needs.

May I follow where You lead.
Love the title of this. It means I need to get active in service. We each have our own individuals gifts to bring to the rooms of recovery. Just being at a meeting and occupying a chair carries a great message to the newcomer.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:33 PM   #102
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Saturday
JUNE24
previous book
next book
A Program for Living

The OA program does much more than promote our recovery from compulsive overeating, essential as that is. It gives us a structure for our daily lives. Before OA, we chased illusions and despaired when they let us down. Now we have a concrete plan of action for living richer, fuller lives.

We have found like-minded friends who help and encourage us. Instead of isolating ourselves and consuming, we are experiencing the fellowship of sharing. We find that the more we contribute to OA, the more we get out of it.

Practicing the Twelve Steps involves every aspect of our lives. We cannot be honest in our efforts to work this program without being honest in all our affairs. What we learn about ourselves through OA can be applied to our other activities as well. We were eating compulsively because we did not know how to cope with the rest of life. As we become better equipped for living through the guidance of our Higher Power, we recover from our disease.

Bless our program, we pray.
So grateful for the program. It is a new way of life. As it says, "It can be applicable to all areas of our recovery."

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:28 PM   #103
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Tuesday, JUNE27

You Can Do It

If you really want what OA has to offer; there is nothing that can stop you from succeeding with the program. The program works if we work it. OA does not pass out recovery on a platter, but the tools for recovery are available and proven effective if we are willing to use them.

Go to a meeting today. Re-read your literature. Call another member. Call several members. Get a sponsor, if you do not already have one. Write out what is troubling you. Find a way to be of service to someone else. Abstain now.

Most important, take time to listen to your Higher Power. Ask for the spiritual insight, which you need. Remember that you are now committed to following God's will for your life, not your own way. Seek the inspiration that comes from the people and the books, which lift up your spirit and show you the way. Then follow.

Lead me, Lord.
This reminds me of an old hymn that says, "Lead me, guide me along the way." I don't have to travel this journey alone. My HP is with me along with the friends I find in the people in the fellowship(s) along the way.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #104
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thought for the Day
Thursday, JUNE29

The Joy of Abstaining

For someone who has suffered the physical, emotional, and spiritual anguish of compulsive overeating, abstaining is not a restriction but a release. We are released from indigestion, lethargy, fat, and the torment of never-satisfied craving.

If we dwell on the negative aspects of abstaining, such as the foods we are not eating, we will be unhappy. If we continue to concentrate on food, rather than on life and the spirit, we will find it difficult to abstain. The OA program gives us a new set of priorities and opens the door to new life if we are willing to leave our preoccupation with food outside and walk in.

It is good to feel full of energy rather than full of food. It is satisfying to discover new ways to give. There is deep joy in day-by-day spiritual growth. All of these joys become ours through abstaining.

We give thanks for the joy of abstaining.
Need to read this today, have been cutting back on my honey buns. Went today and they had none. They are doing me a favor, in one way I am glad and in the other way I am sad.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #105
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

For July readings go to : http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/tho...od-for-thought

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.