Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > New to Bluidkiti's Recovery Forums? > Newcomers Recovery Help and Support

Share This Forum!  

Newcomers Recovery Help and Support Stop in here if you are new to recovery and share with us. Feel free to ask questions and for support here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing Ihope. Al-Anon worked for me, I checked it out at the beginning of my recovery from alcohol and prescription drugs. I also had an eating disorder and a few obsessive, compulsive disorders, that I needed to address. My focus has been Al-Anon for the last 10 years because I have a son in active addiction. I found that I qualified for many reasons, my father died as a result of his alcoholism, my mother`s food addiction killed her at the age of 40, I was married to a guy who was a sex addict and was with another woman the night our son was born. My second husband was an alcoholic, and I tell people, you qualify for Al-Anon because you know me. I am a recovering alcoholic. It is my emotional sobriety that I have to work on daily.

I went to AA for my alcoholism, to NA for my pill addiction, and I went to Al-Anon, I went to find myself. I lived my life through others and always looked outside of myself for validation and to affirm my worth because I couldn`t find it within myself. My fears and anxieties were there long before I picked up a stolen glass of communion wine at 10 years old, wanting to know what I was missing out on.

I never felt whole and complete with no self-empowerment and self-worth. My attitude toward my husband(s) was I am not happy, you are not doing your job, only to find out it wasn`t their job.

Alcohol and Addiction are a family disease. Everyone around them are affected, and they are co-dependent. If you haven`t read it, may I suggest reading Melody Beatties, `Codependent No More.` I read the preface of the book and ran to the nearest Al-Anon meeting.

There is material on the site that can be helpful, not just the Al-Anon reading and posts, but the spiritual aspect of our dis-ease. It affects us mentally, emotionally, spiritually as well as physically. Our mental and emotional pain can make itself known physically and visa versa.

http://www.al-anon.org/TheSteps/

Thanks everyone for the great posts.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply