PDA

View Full Version : Taking A Respite

bluidkiti
02-01-2018, 08:42 AM
Taking A Respite

Psalm 23:2-3: “He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.”

Our family has lived in our present house for 14 years. Yet this morning I walked up the hill that overlooks our housing development for the first time. A pleasant view stretched out before me. Above the treetops I noticed the new steeple on the oldest church in our community. To the south, I saw the high school our children attended. I recalled the days long ago when my son and daughter slid down the hill on their snow sleds. Although I knew where they were, I never came along.

In one sense, I did not have time to do this exploring today. However, I’m glad I did, because after twenty minutes I returned to my work with a renewed attitude. I am not a machine, cranking out productivity. I am a living, breathing part of God’s creation. He has given me this day as his current masterpiece to enjoy.

Are you overwhelmed and pressured by a heavy workload? Do obligations and deadlines threaten your joy? I suggest you take a mini-vacation. Walk by a quiet stream, sit in the grass, climb a hill. Do something you have never done before. This respite is a gift from a loving Creator.

Lord, I have so much to do.

But I’m going to take a break.

Breathe fresh air into my mind and soul.

Joan C. Webb