PDA

View Full Version : "How come you don't drink anymore?"

BW1
08-18-2021, 12:19 PM
Another member posted the following back in 2005. I think it well worth repeating

"How come you don't drink anymore?" a renewed acquaintance from long ago asked the other day.

"Anymore than who?, I asked.

"I mean any longer. How come you don't drink anything these days?"

"Drink? I drink...coffee, milk, juice, tea, soda pop, water..."

"I mean drink" he said. " you know, booze."

"Oh, booze, No I don't drink booze any more, you're right," I said, "I couldn't trust it anymore. It turned on me. Once my friend, it became my enemy."

"Maybe you got a bad batch." he said.

"No the sauce is the same. I changed. Because I have this illness of alcoholism, my tolerance weakened. Alcoholism doesn't come in bottles, it comes in people."

"Sounds pretty confusing" the fellow said

"You think you're confused," I said, "You should have seen me.

I drank for happiness and became unhappy... I drank for joy and became miserable... I drank to be outgoing and became self centered... I drank for sociability and became argumentative and lonely."

"I drank for sophistication and became crude and obnoxious...I drank for friendship and made enemies... I drank to soften sorrow and wallowed in self pity... I drank for sleep and wakened without rest."

"I drank for strength and felt weak.. I drank medicinally and got sick.. I drank because I thought my job called for it and I lost my job.. I drank for relaxation and got the shakes.. I drank for confidence and became uncertain.. I drank for courage and became afraid.. I drank for assurance and became doubtful... I drank to stimulate thought and blacked out... I drank to make conversation and it tied my tongue... I drank for warmth and lost my cool. I drank for coolness and lost my warmth... I drank to feel heaven and came to know hell. I drank to forget and became haunted. I drank for freedom and became a slave...I drank to erase problems and saw them multiply... I drank to cope with life and invited death ..or worse... I drank because I had the right and everything turned out wrong."

"Gosh!" My friend exclaimed, "That must have taken a bunch of booze to get you in that shape."

"Just one" I told him, "The first one. For me one is too many, and a thousand is not enough."

"So that is why you don't drink anymore...?"

"Yep, I make it a rule, I DON'T DRINK WHILE I'M SOBER!"

janbear
03-19-2022, 05:19 PM
I really like this and so very true for me too. Glad I am sober today:p