PDA

View Full Version : Recuperating Compost

bluidkiti
05-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Recuperating Compost

Read Mark 6:30-34

Because so many people were coming and going that [the apostles] did not even have a chance to eat, [Jesus] said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."
-Mark 6:31 (NIV)

IN our backyard next to a lush garden of tomatoes, brussels sprouts, and English cucumbers sat a large compost pile. As a boy, I once asked my dad why the unsightly heap - filled with kitchen scraps, bits of lime, and a good amount of manure - was even necessary. Then October came, and I learned its purpose. Dad spread the blend, now changed into moist black dirt, over his garden patch. It nurtured the vegetables and several beds of roses - producing fresh, beautiful, healthy growth.

I compare the plants' need for that compost, which grows fertile as it sits, to our need for rest. Life piles on all manner of experiences - good and bad. But as we take time to rest, God transforms these into something fruitful. Jesus took time away from the labor of ministering to others, enjoying rest that reenergized him and his disciples for further outreach. If we follow Jesus' example, we will be nurtured to fulfill God's purpose for us.

Adam Colwell (Arizona, USA)
Prayer
Lord, show us today how to find rest that will renew us for doing what you ask of us. Amen.

Thought for the Day
Sabbath rest can turn the difficulties of life into rich soil for spiritual renewal.